BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
You are preparing for a journey-a new school year at LCA. This can be an exciting time, but also one of uncertainty. We want to help you and your child to be as confident and prepared as possible on that first day of school. Your preparation begins even before the first day. Please make sure you have taken care of the following items BEFORE the first day of school
All uniforms are purchased at Parker School Uniforms. This store has a physical location in Lawrenceville or an online presence; however, it is recommended that you take your child in to the store to be fitted the first time you buy uniforms as they can be difficult to fit. They typically run a 20% off sale in June. Please note that if you wait until after July 4 to go purchase uniforms, be prepared to wait a long time in the store. They take customers one at a time and require you to use full-service assistance in selecting uniforms and trying them on. Customers are not permitted to just go in, pick out what they want by themselves, purchase and leave. Parker School Uniforms services almost all private schools in the Atlanta area, so the lines can get long the closer you get to the school year. Parker School Uniforms also has all LCA dress code policies on record, so they will know which styles, colors, etc. you are permitted to buy. The school dress code is also located here.
All students are required to complete summer work packets. For elementary school students in grades PreK-5, this program is called “Preventing the Summer Slide” and is designed to insure that students do not lose ground on skills learned the previous year. For upper school students, both a math and a language arts packet must be completed. Please choose the grade or course that the student just COMPLETED.
LCA takes the medical care, protection and health of our students very seriously, but our nursing staff needs your help. Please go to your Renweb account and fill out the medical information thoroughly for each child. Be sure to click “save” before exiting each page. In addition, if your student will need medication or scheduled treatments throughout the school day (including but not limited to occasional or emergency medications such as an Epi-pen or inhaler), print and fill out the appropriate forms below and turn them in to the school nurse prior to the first day of school. Likewise, if your student has a medical condition we need to be aware of, please fill out the corresponding forms below. We need a separate form for each child. These forms must be completely filled out again each school year. Also, before the first day of school we will need an updated Georgia Immunization form 3231 and a Georgia Vision/Hearing/Dental Screening form 3300 on file for your student. You can print these out and request that they be filled out by your pediatrician or request the forms directly from your pediatrician.
- Permission to Treat for Asthma
- Allergic Reaction Response Plan
- Authorization to Give Medication
- Diabetes Response Plan
- Seizure Action Plan
Carpool Maps and Procedures
We do have a few rules related to carpool. Please keep these things in mind:
- We ask that all parents, students, teachers and visitors use the crosswalks to walk from the parking lots into the building at all times—even if you do not see a car coming. Please do not be offended if our carpool staff directs you to use the crosswalk. Safety is our number one priority in carpool
- Please have your student ready to get out of the car when it is time for drop off. It slows the carpool process down considerably if your student is still eating breakfast, completing homework, or getting in a few more zzzz’s when we are ready for them to exit the vehicle.
- Please do not drop your Lower School child off without an attendant opening your student’s door. While it may seem efficient to let your older Lower School child out before you arrive at the front of the line, this has a tendency to actually slow the process down and it can also lead to accidents in the parking lot when exiting the carpool line.
- Please drop your child off in the assigned location for their age group in the mornings. Students should not be dropped off on the curb or along the sidewalks unless they are being walked in by their parent for a special event or unless they have extra equipment/supplies with them on that day.
- Please obey directional signs for carpool. There are certain places where you cannot go or turn during carpool. If you see cones, use that as your cue that you cannot go that way! You can see the carpool map here.
- Carpool begins at 7:45 for all students on every day but Wednesday. Upper School carpool ends at 7:59 as students are counted tardy if not in their classroom at 8:00 a.m. Lower School carpool ends at 8:04 a.m. as PreK -5th grade students are counted tardy after 8:05 a.m.
- If you arrive and no one is there to greet you at carpool, this means that carpool has closed for the day. Please walk your student(s) to the appropriate building (Mrs. Trotter’s office in the village for PreK-1st grade, the Lodge receptionist for 2nd-5th grade or the front office in the main building for 6th-12th grades) to sign your child in and obtain a late pass.
- In the afternoons, Upper School students are dismissed at 3:00 p.m. If a student is not staying for help class or an extra-curricular activity, it is expected they will be picked up right away. There is no supervision and the building may be locked after 3:30 p.m. each day. Students in grades 6-8 who are not picked up by 3:30 p.m. will be sent to after care and the family’s account charged for the day.
- In the afternoons, Lower School students are dismissed and carpool begins at 2:50 p.m. Carpool pick up runs until 3:00 p.m. Students in grades PreK-5th grade who are not picked up by 3:00 p.m. will go to after care and the family’s account will be charged for the day.
- On Wednesdays school starts one hour later. All carpool procedures will continue as usual, but one hour later. For working parents, you may drop your student off (regardless of age) in the gym starting at 7:45 if necessary. All students dropped off on Wednesdays before 8:45 a.m. (regardless of their grade) must remain in the gym until 8:45 a.m.
For families with only Upper School students:
The carpool process is very simple. In the morning, students in grades 6-12 are dropped off along the curb in front of the main building each morning. In the afternoons, students are dismissed at 3:00 p.m. to find their ride in one of the parking lots. Parents generally just wait in their car for their student to find them. It is a good idea to discuss with your child before school which parking lot you will be in. After the first few days of school, most families find their “spot” and your child will know where to go to find you.
For students who are driving themselves and other Upper School students:
Students with driver’s licenses are permitted to drive to school. They do not need a special pass to park on campus. ALL students should park in the student parking lot at the scoreboard end zone of Hawkins field. Students may park anywhere in this lot, but they generally find that they will gravitate toward the same space after a few days. If a student is driving a Lower school student in grades PreK-5, they will need to go through the carpool line before parking. Lower School students are not permitted to walk to class from the student parking lot. Please remind your student that they will be counted tardy if they arrive to class after 8:00 a.m. In the afternoon, students are dismissed to find their car and transport themselves home. Please note that students should leave campus by 3:30 p.m. unless they are on campus for a practice or other extra-curricular activity.
For families with only PreK-1st Grade Students:
In the morning, you may drop your child off in the cul-de-sac. To arrive at the right location, turn right at the first turn once you enter the campus, go around behind the gymnasium and follow the road around to the cul-de-sac. Safety attendants will be there to help you and your child in the mornings. Your child will exit the vehicle and then be escorted to the Lower School lunchroom to wait on their teacher to pick them up at 8:00 a.m. Please make sure your child is ready to exit the vehicle and is unstrapped from their car seat. If you prefer to walk your child in to class for the first few days, you may do so. Please park in the lot at the back of campus across from the softball and baseball fields and take the walkway from the parking lot in between the modular (past the restrooms), then walk across campus and take the crosswalk across the cul-de-sac. Please do not walk up the side of the carpool line as there are no sidewalks and this is not safe.
For families with only 2nd-5th Grade Students:
In the morning, turn right at the first turn once you arrive on campus and then turn left into the Lodge lot. Students will proceed to the gym until dismissed to their classrooms at 8:00.
For families with a student in PreK-1st grade AND a student in 2nd-5th grades:
Please drop your oldest child off at the Lodge carpool first. Once you proceed through the carpool line, turn right and go around the gymnasium. Then turn left to go around the back of campus to drop off your younger child.
For families with a student in PreK-1st grade AND a student in 6th-12th grades:
Please drop both of your children off in the cul-de-sac. Turn right at the first turn once you enter the campus, go around behind the gymnasium and follow the road around to the cul-de-sac. A safety attendant will help your youngest child out of the car and to the Lower School lunchroom. Your Upper School student will exit the car here as well and wait for an attendant to direct them across the crosswalk to the Upper School building. Please note: DO NOT circle around to drop off your oldest child in the front of the main building. There is no turn around allowed in the mornings as this inhibits traffic flow and is not safe.
For families with a PreK-1st grade student, a 2nd-5th grade student and a student in 6th-12th grades:
Please drop your 2nd-5th grade student off at the Lodge carpool first. Once you proceed through the carpool line, turn right and go around the gymnasium. Then turn left to go around the back of campus to drop off your other two children. A safety attendant will help your youngest child out of the car and to the Lower School lunchroom. Your Upper School student will exit the car here as well and wait for an attendant to direct them across the crosswalk to the Upper School building. Please note: DO NOT circle around to drop off your oldest child in the front of the main building. There is no turn around allowed in the mornings as this inhibits traffic flow and is not safe.
For families with a 2nd-5th grade student AND a 6th-12th grade student:
Please drop your Lower School child off at the Lodge first. Once you proceed through the carpool line, turn left and go back out the way you came, turning right when you get to the main LCA drive. Then, pull up to the front of the main building and drop off your Upper School student.
For Families with only Upper School Students:
Students will be dismissed at 3:00 p.m. to find their car or their parent in the parking lot on their own.
For Families with Upper School Student(s) who drive themselves to school and Lower School Students:
The Upper School student will be dismissed at 3:00 and will proceed immediately to the After Care room where they will pick up their Lower School sibling. The Lower School sibling must be picked up by 3:05 p.m. to avoid an After Care charge. It is assumed that at that point, the Upper School student is responsible for supervising their sibling for the rest of the time that they remain on campus.
For Families with Upper School Students (who don’t drive themselves) and Lower School Students:
The parent should pick up the Lower School student using the Lodge carpool line between 2:45-3:00. They should then park in the Lodge parking lot and wait for their Upper School student to be dismissed. Students who remain after 3:00 will be sent to After Care and the account will be charged.
For Families with only Lower School Students (regardless of their grade):
The parent should pick up all of their children by utilizing the Village carpool line. Even students who have class in the Lodge will be picked up in the Village/cul-de-sac carpool. Parents should turn right at the first turn when coming down the main drive and circle around the back of the gym, past the baseball field. Students should be picked up between 2:45-3:00. Students who remain after 3:00 will be sent to After Care and the account will be charged.